Time? What is time? What did I really mean when I said I would do a news post every week? The world may never know…
- A biopic about Shirley Jackson, author of The Lottery (aka that creepy short story in everyone’s English textbook) was released last week,with Scientologist Handmaid Elisabeth Moss playing the writer. It’s a dud. Shocker!
- Wild’n Out star B.Simone released a self-help/manifestation/follow your dreams like me book entitled “Baby Girl: Manifest the life You Want.” last week. It’s also a dud. Shocker!
- “The Good Place”, “Frozen” and “Bad Moms” star Kristen Bell released a children’s book about similarities and differences called “The World Needs More Purple People” and ok, look. You know where this is going. How are these folks getting movie budgets, publishing contracts and sales? Support indie creators!
- Speaking of indie creators, this is not really news, but lately I’ve discovered the far out space opera Galanthus. It’s full of queer themes and representation, which makes it a perfect read for Pride month. Bonus: it’s a free webcomic. What are you waiting for?
- Books on anti-racism are flying off of shelves and black-owned bookstores are enjoying the profits. I just hope that the contents of those books stick in the heads of their readers. Also, shout-out to Ibram X Kendi, who wrote the book(literally) on anti-racism and released a children’s picture book on the subject this week.
- Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa was born on June 13th, 1888. He was a polyglot, a traveler and a philosopher who wrote a remarkable number of good poems, one of which you can listen to in English here;
Of course, there’s more news but I’ll leave it here for the week. Have you read any of the books mentioned? Any thoughts on publishing duds or anti-racist books?
This blog contains affiliate links to Bookshop.org. If you click and purchase anything from a link on this site, I will earn a commission.